Wednesday 25 February 2009

Journeys through Old Kent Coal






The Miners' of Kent were known for their militant ways, their communities’ were built upon the spirit of the miners that marched from across the country to find work in the South East.

I met with Eileen Rowbotham a mother of five and local Labour councillor, she invited me to stay in her home in the idyllic village of Deal. I felt so at ease with Eileen, bless her.

Eileen wore a Pin the Pits rosette the whole time I was visiting Kent. She introduced me to the women of the Labour Party, the Chic Group and the Move the Miner campaign both exmining collectives.


Visiting Peter Holden and ex miner and comittee man at the Beshanger Working Mans Club we ate handmade sausage rolls and drank tea. Peter discussed how the group were keeping the social club alive by opening up the venue to the wider public. One room was decked out so that local Kids could play WII games. I wished my camera was working so I could document.

Eileen told Peter about my camera and that I am broke and fed up. She explained that I use internet cafes to do print outs for the campaign and feel very unprofessional a lot of the time.

In response to this Peter commissioned me to do a painting of a statue of a miner and that he had an SLR Camera I could use for the campaign.

On the 12th of Febrarury 2009 I recieved this letter:

Dear Rachel,

Please find enclosed, a cheque for 250 pounds. in support of your very important project Pin the Pits.

The statue is a Symbol and Monument, of the finest working class people in the world, and it will remind that they where here in Kent, and around the Country.

With Sincere Appreciation P.M HOLDEN Ex Kent Miner


The mining people of Kent, like others I have met across the country, are dedicated to passing down their stories to the next generation. The spirit of our culture is far reaching and in every former pit community there are people dedicate to memorials and heritage projects, me included. But these activities are not really about the past, they are about keeping mining culture alive and by doing so my generation can feel part of this glorious evolving story, as the spirit of our culture and belief in one another is brought to life.

Leaving Kent on my return to London I realised; mining isn't just an industry it was a proud culture and way of life.

I look forward to returning to Kent in April and thank all the wonderful supportive people of the former Kent Coalfield.

No comments: