Thursday 29 January 2009

The Shed

Nearby Hampstead Heath and South End Green there's a very special place called the "Shed" where writer and actor Neil Tittley live.

Recently quitting smoking because of the ban Neil started doing Snuff instead . When I hang out in the Shed I snort snuff too. This is quiet appropriate for me because snuff was used down the coalmines for centuries. My mother said it was the cocaine of her day and she would snort a pinch off her hand in the local pub.

Neil acts out Oscar Wild and has travelled the world. The Shed is full of stuff collected from all over the world. After my appearance in Houses of Parliament last November Niel said I should keep a diary along with his son Shaun. This blog is therefore dedicated to them.

In 1984 Neil was an active supporter of the Kent and South Wales Miners, because of this he invited me round to the shed to watch a film about the Strike and to drink beer. The film was very moving for me and protrayed how the spirit of the mining communities were broken under the jack boot of Thatcher and Ian McGregor. It is always shocking to be reminded of the poverty of that era, whereby, people lost everything, even having to burn household furniture to keep the house warm.
The history and memory has been airbrushed out of public conciousness. Sometimes it scares the hell out of me to think the current economic change is predicted to be worse that the 1980s.


Neil has written poetry on the miners’ and I hope to hear him perform it one day.

I spent the aftermath of my 23 birthday party in the shed watching collections of music videos from the sixites, snorting stuff and eating oatcakes with my best friend Scarlett. We usually end our conversations declaring "power two the people".

No comments: